Monday, March 18, 2013

Lucy's Top 100 Movies: 80-71

80. Dune (Director's Cut)

I recognize that this is an Alan Smithee joint, meaning David Lynch disowns this film, but I hope that doesn't apply to the director's cut, because I loved that. David Lynch is one of my top 3 favorite directors of all time, and everything he does with Kyle MacLachlan is magic.
What's more, I am a particularly tough critic when it comes to movie adaptations of books I've read (Nerdy Confession: I've read the first 3 books of the Dune series), and this one still passed muster. In contrast, the SciFi Network re-make from 2000 pissed me off after just 20 minutes and I refused to watch further.

This is my favorite shot 

79. Last of the Mohicans (1920)

Nobody ever thinks of the silent version of the J.F. Cooper classic, but it is a stirring, beautiful film. The irony is not lost on me that they cast a white actor as the native american in an interracial love story, but the fact that they told that story at all is impressive for the day.
It's a silent movie, so no movie quotes here.

78. Tie Me Up, Tie Me Down

I originally had this as a tie with Buffalo '66. Both movies are profoundly creepy, deal with Stockholm Syndrome, have interesting characters, and end in very similar ways. In the end I chose the Pedro Almodovar flick over the Vincent Gallo one because Vincent Gallo is a racist asshole and his work since Buffalo '66 has not been of any value. I also think Almodovar's dialogue is better.
Besides, Antonio Banderas is a hunk.

77. Airplane!

I once heard that this was scientifically proven to be the funniest movie ever made. Don't believe me? Check it out:


76. On the Waterfront

I'm not a fan of the anti-union overtones, but it is nevertheless a dramatically compelling story and beautifully told.
"Hey, you wanna hear my philosophy of life? Do it to him before he does it to you."

75. True Grit (2010)

Mattie Ross, the 14-year-old girl who teams up with a US Marshal named Rooster to hunt down her father's murderer, is just about the coolest, toughest kid ever imagined. I wish I could be just like her.
LaBoeuf: You give out very little sugar with your pronouncements. While I sat there watchin' I gave some thought to stealin' a kiss... though you are very young, and sick... and unattractive to boot. But now I have a mind to give you five or six good licks with my belt. 
Mattie Ross: One would be just as unpleasant as the other 

74. Memento

Amensia is too often a device of convenience in plot development, but it is not a problem here because it is used as the central plot element.
"I have this condition."

73. Moneyball

The best movie about sports statistics I've ever seen.
"He gets on base a lot. Do I care if it's a walk or a hit?"

72. Barton Fink

Coen Brothers comedies are always surprising and intelligent. And they always make excellent use of John Goodman.
 "I could tell you stories to curl your hair, but it looks like you've already heard 'em. "


71. Rain Man

Best Tom Cruise movie, thought that's not saying a lot. So I'll just say it's a classic for a reason.
Raymond: 'Course it's 10 minutes to Wapner. 
Charlie: You'll make it. 
Raymond: Yeah. 

Lucy's Top 100: Numbers 100-91

Lucy's Top 100: Numbers 90-81

Lucy's Top 100: Numbers 70-61

Lucy's Top 100: Numbers 60-51

Lucy's Top 100: Numbers 50-41

No comments:

Post a Comment