Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Lucy's Top 100 Films: 100 - 91

Please note, compiling this list is a highly subjective and imperfect process. Every person who reads this will almost certainly disagree with me on some points. Because I have not seen every movie, including certain canonical pieces, there are no doubt some glaring omissions. Sorry.

100. The Nightmare Before Christmas

"There's children throwing snowballs/ instead of throwing heads/ They're busy building toys/ and absolutely no one's dead!" This is Danny Elfman's best jam since Weird Science.
"Jack, please, I'm only an elected official here, I can't make decisions by myself!"
-The Mayor of Halloween

99. My Best Fiend: Klaus Kinski

This kept me fascinated from start to end. It helps that I am already a sucker for Werner Herzog, and learning how absolutely, bats-in-the-belfry crazy Kinski was makes all his performances even better in retrospect. For example, Kinski was convinced the Peruvian natives on the set of Fitzcarraldo adored and respected him, not realizing they had approached Herzog with an offer to murder the leading man.

The humans may have felt otherwise, but this butterfly at least genuinely loved him.

98. White Men Can't Jump

I am so glad I saw this movie before I went on Jeopardy!, not because it came up in any of the clues during the show, but because every time someone asked me to name a food that began with the letter "q,"I would say "quince" in a Bronx accent and the conversation would be over.
Can anybody step in for this guy? Anybody? For Mr. Motherfucking March of Dimes?


97. Moonstruck

This film taught me the value of copper plumbing. Also, I love Dino singing That's Amore.
Priest: What sins have you to confess? 
Loretta Castorini: Twice I took the name of the Lord in vain, once I slept with the brother of my fiancee, and once I bounced a check at the liquor store, but that was really an accident. 

  96. Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Check out my review here.

Buffy: Well, you know, I'm not gonna kick so easy. I've got a few things the other girls didn't have. 
Merrick: As for example, what? 
Buffy: My keen fashion sense. 

95. Home Alone

Kevin McCallister would be 30 years old by now. He could run for Senate. And you know what? I'd vote for him. If he was able to resolve a crisis half as creatively and effectively as he could when he was 8, imagine what he could do for the economy. Filibustering that jobs bill, Senator Rand Paul? Whoops! Watch out for that oil slick. Looks like he won't be making it the Senate floor today. It's another win for Senator McCallister (D-Ill).
You guys give up yet? Or are you thirsty for more?

94. Punch Drunk Love

Not too surprising that this is the only Adam Sandler flick on this list. He is actually quite good, but he makes a lot more money acting like he invented puberty. PT Anderson, of course, frames every shot like it's poetry.
This movie also taught me what a harmonium was.

93. Star Wars VI: Return of the Jedi

Ewoks are cute. 

92. Silver Linings Playbook
Powerhouse acting, clever dialogue, and a spotlight on mental health separate this film from the myriad formulaic rom-coms polluting our theaters. Chris Tucker is particularly charming. Of course, Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper, Robert De Niro, and Jacki Weaver all generate stellar performances as well, but they've been receiving accolades up the wazoo so it hardly seems worth mentioning.
Pat: You have poor social skills. You have a problem. 
Tiffany: I have a problem? You say more inappropriate things than appropriate things. 

91. True Romance

It feels an awful lot like Christian Slater is playing Quentin Tarantino's alter-ego, and I am a-ok with that. Also, Brad Pitt provides some superb comic relief.  
"Don't condescend me, man."


Lucy's Top 100: Numbers 90-81

Lucy's Top 100: Numbers 80-71

Lucy's Top 100: Numbers 70-61

Lucy's Top 100: Numbers 60-51

Lucy's Top 100: Numbers 50-41

No comments:

Post a Comment